Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Western Medicines Or Traditional Chinese Medicines (TCM) ???


When you are not feeling well, or someone in your family requires medical attention, where do you go - the nearest GP clinic or TCM? Do you believe ONLY in 1 of the 2 practices or you think that each has its own specialty?

As for myself (and I believe many of you too), my mom brought me and my brother to our family GP clinic when we are unwell. In fact, almost all of those whom I know, seek consultation from the Western practices; which is considered a norm. How about those who prefer the TCM - do we label them as 'exceptions'? Ironically, those who believe more in TCM may call us the 'exceptions'.

I would say there is no right or wrong, whichever one prefers is solely based on his beliefs and most of the time, these beliefs are results of Upbringing & Habits - We have been brought up to consult the western practitioners, from the day we are born for the vaccinations and so since we are there, our parents (and now us), conveniently consult the doctor for any health-related concerns.

I have never given any thought to how TCM can help improve one's health, nor have I ever step into one when I am down. It was not until I was into my early 30's, the time when my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer, when she started to undergo chemotherapy, that I started to get interested to learn more about the other options, besides western medicines. My mom was not the first one in the family who was hit by cancer. Her father (my most beloved Grandpa) was also diagnosed with colon cancer 2 years before her diagnosis - he lost it after 1.5years of battling. My family was strongly hit by CANCER - since 2006 till now, it has taken away a total of 6 family members; which includes grandpa, mom, god-ma, aunty and 2 uncles - and this is a huge blow to me and their next-of-kins.

I would sit before the computer for hours and into the wee hours, just to learn more about what Cancer is all about and how chemotherapy can have adverse effects on a patient and what other options should one go for to quickly boost up his immunity since all the good and bad cells will go with chemotherapy. I am not being paranoid after having witness so many of them gone. I just feel there is definitely more to what one can do to fight and win this cruel battle. I am grateful for my desire to learn more and the never-stop-learning mentality as I then realize the importance of collaborating the Western & Eastern Medicines towards having a STRONGER Body and Mind, especially for one who is undergoing chemotherapy or has any health or even skin disorders.

Now a mother of 2, maintaining every one's health in the pinkest level, has top my priority list. I always believe in keeping myself open to every options that is available and that positivity leads to better things in life. On top of supplementing our health, I am also concern over my younger daughter's eczema issue. I started us on a liquid health supplement (Vemma) in September 2012 and today my girls are enjoying their weekly Paediatric Tui-na (推拿) massage at Thomson Medical TCM, which I believe will strengthen their digestive systems, build up their immunity and in turn improve my girl's eczema issue.

There is a very important lesson that I have learn from one of the TCM doctor, she said:
"A person may be taking the most expensive ginseng everyday...BUT if he does not maintain a healthy lifestyle, every single bit of the ginseng or any life's elixir will only go to waste. Whether western or eastern medicines, bear in mind, neither of it cures. Ultimately it is the Lifestyle that plays the MAJOR role in a person's life." 
And she further explained to me a healthy lifestyle means: a good diet, a positive mindset, stress and anger management, quality sleep and exercise!

Positivity will block the negative thoughts that overwhelm you during tough times. 
Stay positive and you'll achieve more than what you set yourself for.

No comments:

Post a Comment