Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The First Trimester

An average pregnancy takes about 9months and it is divided into 3-trimesters; the 1st from 0-3months, 2nd from 4-6months and 3rd from 7-9months.

Early development:
The actual pregnancy begins at the time the egg is fertilized
by a sperm cell. During the following week, the fertilized egg grows into a microscopic ball of cells (blastocyst), which implants on the wall of your uterus. This implantation triggers a series of hormonal and physical changes in your body.

The 3rd through 8th weeks of growth are called the embryonic stage, during which the embryo develops most major body organs. During this process, the embryo is especially vulnerable to damaging substances, such as alcohol, radiation, and infectious diseases - Avoid caffeine drinks.

By the 9th week, the embyro, now called a fetus, would have reached a little more than 1inch in length. By now, the uterus has grown from about the size of a fist to about the size of a grapefruit.

Additional changes related to pregnancy:
Throughout the pregnancy, you may notice a number of mild to severe effects, including:

1. Constipation, due to hormonal changes that slow down the normal function of your bowels. Iron in your prenatal vitamin can also cause constipation. Solution: Drink lots of water or prune juice.

2. Mood Swings, which can be caused by hormonal changes, extreme fatigue, or the stress of expecting a new baby. Solution: Take time to rest as much as possible. Stay relax and refrain from getting agitated unnecessarily. (For working mothers - A short 20min. nap helps)

3. Vaginal discharge changes. A thin, milky-white discharge (leukorrhea) is normal throughout pregnancy. Also, the tissues lining the vagina become thicker and less sensitive during pregnancy. Vaginal yeast infections, which are more common in pregnancy because of the increased levels of hormones. Solution: Keep vaginal area clean at all times. Consult your gynae for safe medication.

4. Spotting can occur at any point in your pregnancy. Spotting is slight bleeding usually noticed when wiping or as slight staining of your underwear. It can be pink, red or brown colored blood and may be rather faint. Spotting or bleeding during early pregnancy can be a symptom of an ectopic pregnancy. An extopic pregnancy is a pregnancy where the fertilized egg attaches to someplace outside of the uterus. It is also sometimes called a tubal pregnancy if it attaches to one of the fallopian tubes. Solution: Seek emergency consultation without further delay. Abstain from intercourse, heavy lifting, exercising. STAY IN BED.

5. Morning Sickness. You may feel nausea at anytime of the day. Solution: Avoid taking a full meal. Take frequent light meals. If vomiting is so extreme (like my case), consult gynae for anti-vomiting pills.

My First Trimester was BAD (and worrying). Aaron and I was thrilled with the 'pregnant' news. We even started thinking of names for our baby!

My worry starts one day when Aaron, as usual came to pick me after work. I went to the ladies and got a shocked! My pantyliner was stained with blood! I panicked but try my best to compose myself. Told Aaron and we headed straight to Thomson Medical Emergency. It was after 8pm and I was showed into a waiting room where I was made to lie down on the bed while waiting anxiously for my gynae to arrive. Tears rolled down my cheeks, I was worried sick that something may happen, but Aaron was there to comfort me, telling me everything is going to be fine. My gynae arrived soon, did a scan and assured me that my baby is FINE! Tears started trickled down again, this time, a tear of relief! I was given 10days of medical leave to do nothing but REST-in-bed for the next 10days.

Staying at home - doesn't it sounds GOOD? Oh no... the following days were terrible. My morning sickness starts and hey - don't be mislead by the term 'morning'. Believe it or not, I vomited almost after every meal and drink! My taste buds tasted funny throughout the day and I simply lost all appetite. Even my most favourite 'hokkien noodle' tasted WEIRD! I felt so terrible and SICK that I told Aaron, 'we will just go for ONE baby'.

10 days later, Aaron accompanied me back to my gynae for review and she did a scan for me. She assured me that baby is growing and we heard the baby's heartbeat (via the machine)! "Baby's heartbeat is strong", informed my gynae. We were both thrilled.

During the initial appointment, I was given a urine, blood and cervical swap test and then was scheduled for an OSCAR Test (Assesment of Risk for Fetal Anomalies) on the 12th week of my pregnancy; the test result was GOOD!

In total, I was given 3 weeks of hospitalization leave because I was feeling so restless and drowsy with the endless vomitting. Friends and Colleagues told me the morning sickness will normally stop coming to the end of the 1st Trimester - NOT TRUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment